Saturday, April 19, 2008

It Is Sad To Know

This morning i decided to go outside at the backyard with my son because we had a very beautiful weather, it was windy but Mr. Sunshine had enough light to keep warm the whole day. So my son had so much fun outside playing his bike and doing some other activities while i came back inside to do some house chores but i made sure that my son still there at the back busy playing while waiting for his daddy to arrive from work. When his daddy arrived, it was his daddy who took care of him and watched over him while i was trying to finish my chores inside here.

Anyway, they went over at the front porch and my son continued playing out there with his daddy. I just got done with what i was doing and hubby came in to get a screw driver because the grand daughter of the old couple next door wants to borrow it for a while. When she came back to return the tool, hubby and i had a little chat with her. To my surprise she mentioned that her old grandpa died last early January. I felt suddenly sadness in me because these couple are very nice neighbor to us and since it's winter i hardly go outside to visit them. And besides, i don't want to go out there and just pops out at their doorstep. Before i go to someone else's house, i make sure to give them a call to know that they are home, they are not busy and not somewhere else.

I couldn't help but blame myself for not visiting the poor old couple. He was 87 years old when he died and it has been almost 4 months since he died and i didn't even know it until that grand daughter came over to visit the poor old grandmother of hers because she is lonely and sad. I would say that she is very sad, they have been happily married for long long years and now she doesn't have someone to talk to no more, she is all by herself now. I suddenly remember my grandmother too, she was terribly affected when my grandpa died due to his heart problem.

It is sad to know that we are just neighbors here, just right next door, but yet i have no idea about his death. What i am getting at is, if this old man happens to die in my beloved place back home, even the other Barrio as we call it, will know about his death for sure. It's just made me realized that indeed living here in America is way different from place where i was born and grew up, it's totally different.

7 comments:

tx sweetie said...

hala sa babawng silingan ra.naunsa ang world kapait. pero louy ang mabyaan oi kay mao mag antos sa kamingaw.

Anonymous said...

That's really sad. You're right. Back here in the Phils. the news will spread like wildfire already when a neighbor dies. Goodluck and God bless to the new addition to your family. :-)

PinayWAHM said...

Oo nga Mommy Darlene...it's very different here. I guess nasa culture na rin yan so don't feel bad kung bakit hindi mo agad nalaman. We also had a elderly neighbor here whow passed on a few months back. Kaso unlike you we never talked to him. Medyo unfriendly sya kasi my husband tried to befriend him when he first moved here. Anyway, I just knew that he died kasi meron ambulance dito sa may amin.

Anyway, don't be to hard on yourself. Maybe you can pay her a visit one day just to chat with her.

Thanks for the visit and enjoy your Sunday with your family.

Juliana

Anonymous said...

when my mother in-law died its takes one week before our close neighbor knew about it...yes its kinda part of life in america and europe.

marie said...

Sad nga, entirely different here when every neighbor wants to know what's going on sa kapwa neighbor kaya walang nakaka ligtas na balita.

Anonymous said...

that's sad indeed.. but you can still help your neighbor now that you know she is lonely..im sure she'd be appreciative of some company now that she's alone..

we can always share some of our Filipino traits even if you are there in the US na dba? :)

Anonymous said...

don't be too hard in urself darls...sad to hear this story...i also miss my grandparents! wla na naiwan both on my parent's side...