Monday, March 14, 2011

My Story

Thanks for the post from Sylvester Campbell

My wife asked me to tell her readers about my journey to become a full-time freelance writer. Just like any other business, setting up shop as a writer can be challenging and stressful. Obviously I didn’t ever intend to have a brick-and-mortar store, but getting an online presence is equally demanding of a one man business. The first step in setting up my personal website was researching available domain names through some of the big providers. Once I found a site name suitable for my needs I contacted a local design student to help me create the site. It didn’t need to be anything fancy, just functional and aesthetically pleasing enough to attract new clientele. One of the more important features of the site is the “Contact” section, since this is where a lot of my new business comes in. I had to make sure this feature functioned properly and I set up a designated email just to catch these incoming requests. So far, I’ve had great luck in the online world, and business is booming. My advice for any other aspiring writers out there? Get online and get yourself seen: it’s the only way.

No comments: