Friday, December 3, 2010

Our Christmas Tree

Thanks to Marion Watkins

It's been a few years since we had a live Christmas tree. There is no artificial tree that can compare to a fresh pine decorated with all of the bulbs, garland, tinsel, lights, and even homemade decorations made in kindergarten all those years ago. In thinking of a story that was told to me years ago, I think it is time for another real tree this year.

I remember a woman telling me a story of how when she was a little girl she went to visit an elderly lady who was a friend or relative. That part I don't remember. I do remember what she said about the old woman's Christmas tree. She said that the lady asked her to wait in another room while she lit the tree. When the little girl was asked to come into the room, the tree was fully lit by burning candles in special containers that were made to hold them on the live tree.

Something like that would be unheard of today and was probably equally unwise all those years ago. However, the little girl said that the memory of that tree all decorated and lit with candles is something she will never forget. Today we would be terrified and running for the fire extinguisher. We won't be lighting our tree with candles, but I am looking forward to a nice aromatic pine tree about seven feet high. It won't be but a couple more days and I'll set Security Choice home security alarm and gather the family in the van to go get a tree.

No comments: